Thursday, December 20, 2012

Weekly Class Summary: Dec. 17-21

SOLs Covered: 7.14 & 8.15a Solving Equations; 7.15 Solving & Graphing Inequalities
Math Dictionary Sections: (14) Algebraic Concepts; (15) Inequalities
Upcoming Assessments: Ratios, Rates, & Proportions Quiz (TBA)

What a busy week! I'll keep this weekly class summary short and sweet in honor of the shortened week and so we can all start our holiday break off sooner... and I really mean it this time, so no promises of short-and-sweet only for it to turn into a five-page essay! With most of the students on this team out either Tuesday or Wednesday for the field trip to Fort Lee, some students wrapping up last week's quiz, and students taking the unit test, there wasn't much time for anything else. I was able to get everything graded and returned to the students who were in class Thursday in hopes that they'll take a little bit of time over the break to complete error analysis on both (the test is another "freebie" error analysis, so no need to spend Lambie Points!). While munching on a holiday treat (Smartie flavored candy canes for all my smartie students!) a few students got started on the corrections in class on Thursday while others worked on a few missing assignments and others did a few seasonal activities (holiday Cartesian cartoons, brain teasers, and word problems). I encourage students to also work on catching up on everything over the break: adding missing sections to the Math Dictionary, making up missing assignments, restocking school supplies.

Since I always post little additions to the weekly class summary in the form of a video or game link, I thought I'd try to find something in the spirit of the season but still "mathy" (of course). The following video explores the math behind the gifts in the traditional carol The Twelve Days of Christmas. While we won't get to patterns, functions, and sequences until later in the year, it does relate back to our most recent work with algebra and is a fun (for us math nerds at least) seasonal twist on math.


Before I take off to enjoy the break and holidays with my family, I want to wish everyone a safe and happy break! I hope everyone enjoys the holidays with their own families and I'll see you all in the new year!

Happy Holidays!!!
Ms. Lambert

No comments: