Friday, September 05, 2014

Math: Week 1

MSM2 Blocks 1/2 & 7/8 &7H Block 5/6
SOLs Covered:  SOL 7.1 & 8.5 Squares & Square Roots
Math Packet:  #1 Exponents, Powers, & Roots
Upcoming Assessments:  Squares, Square Roots & Integers Quiz (Fri. 9/12); Pre-Assessment (TBA)

Welcome back to what should be an exciting new school year!  This year's blog postings will likely be a bit shorter since we have several new systems/sites we're now using in the district.  With trying to learn the ins-and-outs of all our new tech, I'll spend less time "here" and more time working with them.  Instead of posting links to digital copies of assignments here, students will be able to access them through our new grading system, Synergy, starting September 15th (parents will gain access soon after that).  For now, students will be able to find copies through Edmodo; codes were given out in class to join my groups, but students who have forgotten them just need to see me to get it again.  I'm also in the process of setting up a Google Site for my classes, which will house most of my resources as well.


All of this is in preparation for the county-wide roll-out of Chromebooks to all CCPS middle schoolers!  I'm super excited about this and have big plans for our new 1-to-1 device program.  This will be a learning year for all of us, but I plan to help students learn how to make the most of the new devices both for my class and in general to help them improve their educational experiences.  I'm also happy to help any parents with the technology once the county has everything ready to go.

As always, students along with their parents/guardians are always welcome to email/message/call if they have any questions or concerns.  I can be reached through my county email (listed in my class brochure and on the math letter), Edmodo, eventually through Synergy, "old school" paper letters/notes, and calls/messages left with the front office.  I do plan on having tutoring times available as well, but at this time I do not have a set schedule.  Until I have open tutoring times, any students wanting extra help need to simply check with me for a possible time.


Good luck to everyone this school year and please let me know if I can be of any help!


No comments: