Friday, September 12, 2014

Math: Week 2

MSM2 & 7H
SOLs Covered:  SOL 7.1 & 7.3 Integers; SOL 8.1 Order of Operations
Math Packet:  #2 Integers
Upcoming Assessments:  Properties Quiz (Pd. 1/2 & 7/8 on Fri. 9/19); Order of Operations Quiz (Pd. 5/6 on Fri. 9/19); CCPS Week 1-4 Quiz (Pd. 1/2 & 7/8 on Tues. 9/23; Pd. 5/6 TBA)

Another week down and we are going strong!  This week's class summary will be on the short side since my "auntie's taxi service" is running this afternoon.  Students are already back into the routine of school and have assimilated my own class routines into the mix.  We're still a couple of weeks from when we'll get the student Chromebooks, so things will have to be tweaked to include those at that time.  Being the tech nerd that I am, I'll be ready to help the students figure out how to make the most of the devices.


This week's math topic was integers, including the basics what they are and how to work with them.  For my MSM2 classes (blocks 1/2 and 7/8), computation with integers is a completely new topic while for my 7H students (block 5/6), this is a review before we get into the more complex order of operation problems next week.  After working on this week's packet all week (in equal parts as whole class work, small groups, and independent), students took the first quiz today (9/12).  There are a few students who need a little time to finish the quiz up on Monday, but after they are all finished and I've gotten them graded, we'll go over how to perform an error analysis together in class.  Details for what all this entails will be included with next week's post.

I hope everyone has a restful weekend!  We'll have a busy week next week since we'll not only have our regular math lessons but we'll also have a little bit of "preview" lesson to complete school-wide in preparation for the following week's Chromebook distribution.  In the meantime, I'd like to challenge students (and their parents/guardians) to start thinking about questions they might have regarding the devices as well as what they think their idea of an integrated class "looks" like.  Obviously my main focus is my math class, but I really want to help the kids get the most out of the technology in all of their classes.


No comments: